Sports Update: Week of May 6

Sophomore Calvin Lakowske lines his ball up for the perfect putt.
Lily Olson
Freshman Sam Aebly pushes his golf bag to the green to complete hole four. (Lily Olson)
Taking Course: A successful night for two of the Tiger teams

May 10, 2024

BLACK RIVER FALLS — Varsity golf hosted their home match of the season. With a slight drizzle now and then, the boys had a very successful match. The Tigers tied for first place against Westby with both teams shooting 170. A big congratulations to freshman Sam Aebly who shot a 40, not only taking first for the team but taking first place overall.

MAUSTON — The boys’ tennis team traveled to Mauston on Thursday night. For a successful conference match, they won 5-2 overall. Each of the singles players won their match along with their doubles two team.

VIROQUA — For a reschedule the baseball team traveled to Viroqua to play the Blackhawks. The game unfortunately rained out.

WINONA – The girls’ club soccer team traveled to Winona for their second game ever. While they didn’t keep score, the girls felt like there had been improvement. “They didn’t score as many goals, and we were closer to scoring than our last game,” said junior Katelyn Nosbich.

Rain Rain Go Away: A rainy day for the Tigers brought an unfortunate night

BLACK RIVER FALLS — The tennis team played Viroqua at the courts on Tuesday night. With a few random moments of rain, the Tigers ultimately took a loss against the Blackhawks. 

Tiger softball started their game against West Salem at the Red Creek fields but ultimately had to call it in the fourth inning because of continuous thunder and flooding in the fields. By the time they had called the game, the score was 0-3; the Tigers taking the loss.

The baseball team was set to play West Salem last night but canceled mid-day due to the incoming storms. They will play each other tonight at 5:30 at home.

NEW LISBON — Varsity golf traveled to New Lisbon to play at the Castle Rock Golf Course. The team took second out of seven teams. Chris Muir and Calvin Lakowske tied for second in the whole match, both of them shooting 42s.

Served: Tennis kept it at home Monday night while two other teams traveled

May 7, 2024

BLACK RIVER FALLS — Tennis kept it at home for a windy match against Aquinas. The Bluegolds brought the heat and pushed the boys, ultimately resulting in a loss for the Tigers.

NEW LISBON — JV golf traveled to New Lisbon to play nine holes at Castle Rock Golf Course.

MELROSE-MINDORO — The freshman and sophomores of the track and field team headed to Melrose-Mindoro to represent at the JV meet. The girls placed eight out of ten teams while the boys placed tenth out of ten teams.

Getting started: The Tigers are looking ahead for a full week of competing

May 6, 2024

BLACK RIVER FALLS — The tennis team will be competing at home tonight for their second to last match at home. The match starts at 4:30 against Aquinas at the Black River Falls High School courts.

MELROSE-MINDORO — The JV track team is traveling to Melrose-Mindoro for the Mustang Freshman/Sophomore Invite. The meet starts at 4:30 against nine other times.

NEW LISBON — JV golf travels to New Lisbon for nine holes. The team starts at 4:30 at Castle Rock Golf Course