Sports Update: Week of April 15

Sophomore Grady Meek following through with his driver at the tee
Lily Olson
Windy City: Three tiger sports traveled to compete despite the windy weather

APRIL 19

ARCADIA — For a windy conference match, the boys varsity golf team traveled to Arcadia Thursday night. With seven teams competing, the boys took third overall. Senior Wyatt Madvig led the Tigers in scoring with a 41. 

WESTBY — For their second meet of the week, the track and field team traveled to Westby on Thursday night. The boys placed fifth, and the girls placed sixth, overall the track and field team took sixth at the Uff Da Invitational. Junior Katelyn Nosbich PR’ed in her discus throw with a 68-4.

AMERY — On Thursday night, the boys’ tennis team traveled to Amery. The team went 1-6 overall against the Warriors. Mason Lechner came home with the team’s only win, with a 6-4, 6-3 defeat over Amery’s Ryan Moskol. 

Change: This season the baseball team has made some changes with the loss of their co-op partners

APRIL 18

During Black River Falls Tiger baseball’s co-op with Fall Creek for the past two seasons, the team gained five players and one coach.

“Last year we relied heavily on two Fall Creek boys for pitching and we didn’t really use any BRF pitchers,” said junior Aidan Gunderson.

But with the co-op contract ending, BRF had to find a solution.

“This year we spread out our pitching a little bit more. We have a lot of really good pitchers this year,” said Gunderson.

Although they didn’t lose very many players, and spots were opened back up for Black River Falls athletes, there was a loss with the connections that had been built.

“I had a better connection with Nathan. He knew where I wanted to throw it when I wanted to throw it, compared to Cole,” said Gunderson. “I love that guy. Nathan, if you’re seeing this I love you come home please I miss you.”

As they persevere from the loss of their fellow teammates, they also look forward to the new rivalry game they’ll be able to play in.

Underdogs: Monday night was fairly busy with four sports competing

APRIL 17

BLACK RIVER FALLS — At the first home match of the season for the golf team, the JV boys brought Tomah to the course on Monday. The team ultimately lost to Tomah by 11 strokes. Freshman Sam Everson and sophomore Toby Hovland had the best scores for the Tigers with a 52.

BLACK RIVER FALLS — Keeping it home, the C-Team softball team went head-to-head with Tomah Monday night. The game was high-scoring but ultimately led to a 15-19 loss against the Timberwolves. 

NEKOOSA  — The baseball team traveled to Nekoosa Monday night. In a close game, the Tiger boys came out with a 1-0 win over the Papermakers. 

ONALASKA — The track and field team traveled to Onalaska on Monday for a last-minute reschedule. At the Knight Invite, both the boy’s team and the girl’s team placed fourth out of the eight teams involved. The meet was a good run for the Tigers with Olivia Olson taking first in the 100 meter and Hannah Tubbs taking first in the 200 meter with a PR.

Looking Back: A recap on Saturday’s sporting events

APRIL 15

On Saturday April, 13 the softball team traveled to Stanley Boyd. The girls went 1-1 in the tournament with a 7-5 win to Stanley Boyd and a 3-13 loss to Mondovi. 

“Our first game went better because it wasn’t as hot and we didn’t have a game in us. Once it got to the second game we started changing things around and going to spots people weren’t used to. It didn’t work out like we thought it would. The conditions for the second game were 10 times hotter, so a lot of us were already tired because of the heat and we already had a game in us,” said freshman Jada Olver.

In the east, the boys tennis team traveled to Brown Deer for a tournament. Overall the team went 2-3 in the tournament. But the boys found themselves making a lot of improvement over their four matches each. 

Junior Sander King (singles 3) had the best singles record for the team with a 3-2 Saturday. 

Freshmen Darryl Jacox and Zander Krosinski (doubles 3) had the best doubles record for the Tigers on Saturday with a 1-4.