Focusing on younger students

NHS takes on activities to connect with district schools

Lily Olson

Junior Kaylee Youngthunder leads a group of Red Creek students toward the West Gym and Fine Arts Wing. NHS members led advising trick-or-treating and several games on October 31.

Taking action to focus on children this year, the National Honor Society is spending more time with younger students to impact not only the kids but also the community.

Adviser Ashley Wright wants more of a connection between district schools this year, so NHS took action when they heard that Forrest Street Elementary was vandalized. The school was unable to open on September 1. On October 6, when elementary teachers were moving back into their school, the high school had the kindergarteners and the 1st graders all day. After that, the National Honors Society also did a fun Halloween activity on October 21 with the second and third graders.

Our high school students have mentioned that they have never been more tired, but also love getting to hang out with the little kids, and the little kids just have a blast and have a smile on their face the entire time, and it’s really exciting.

— Ashley Wright, NHS adviser

“I think that the connection between the different schools is really important because it’s really great for our older high school students to spend time with younger kids. It brings them back to their childhood, it’s kind of nostalgic for them, and it’s really exciting,” Wright said. “And for those little kids, being around high schoolers makes a big impact. They remember our high school students when they get to work with them, and they always have a really fun time. So, I just think that the relationship that we’re building in the community has been really beneficial to the school and our community as a whole.”

The NHS officer team helped plan all the activities the group did with the younger kids with their adviser Ashley Wright.

“Me and the entire officer team got together like a couple different times prior to this and planned the entire event out and made sure it was going to run smoothly,” vice president Ryder Brown said.

Senior Haylie Schmidt said her favorite part was knowing how she was making a difference in the kids’ lives. Also, she loved to see them interact and be able to do something different during school.

“My favorite thing about spending time with the children when they came to the high school was just seeing them interact with all the high schoolers, knowing that we’re making a difference in their life and just giving them something fun about school and learning and another way to have fun when they’re at school,” president Haylie Schmidt said.

The club got a great response from everyone for doing this with the elementary students.

“Our high school and elementary school students who have been able to participate in these events have loved every second of it. They have had so much fun. Our high school students have mentioned that they have never been more tired, but also love getting to hang out with the little kids, and the little kids just have a blast and have a smile on their face the entire time, and it’s really exciting,” said adviser Ashley Wright. “And for our teachers that we have that have been part of this. They are just really grateful for having an opportunity to get their students out in a different setting and get to meet some new people and probably get a little bit of a break not having to plan things, too. So they have been really appreciative and have loved it as well.”