Leadership works hard to change student climate

Leadership uses student input to create changes throughout the school including a change in student respect, school cleanliness, and school culture

Austin Schneider

Leadership is a club that was introduced during the 2021-2022 school year. Instructional Coach Britton Slowey took on the role as the adviser of Leadership alongside math teacher Ashley Wright.

“I think we need to start working with younger adolescents to build them up to be service leaders and not just, you know, the bosses in charge. In order to fix what’s going on in our world today, we need to care about people more and this is just one step,” said Slowey.

Slowey started working at BRFHS last year. Students took the time to get to know her through leadership. While Slowey was figuring out the ways of the school, students developed their opinions about her.

“I think having Ms. Slowey as our leadership adviser is really awesome because she’s always really willing to work with any ideas you have and she’s somebody really positive. So that’s what I really admire about her,” said David Becker

I think we need to start working with younger adolescents to build them up to be service leaders and not just, you know, the bosses in charge. In order to fix what’s going on in our world today, we need to care about people more and this is just one step.

— Britton Slowey, Leadership adviser

One role that Slowey has is picking out the students she considers the best fit to represent the school. During the 2021-22 school year, she reached out to multiple students to be part of Leadership.

“I think that any student can be a leader. I don’t think that there are discrepancies between groups of students. I tried to choose students to represent the school as a whole. All the different demographics that are in it. We have a little bit of a leadership foundation and so we’re just building that right now. And as soon as we get that off the ground we’ll be able to make an impact,” said Slowey.

Leadership impacts the school by creating many activities to get students involved. This year, Leadership has worked many events to make sure every student feels included.

“We work on a lot of different things like, you know, positivity. One thing that we did this year was helping the freshman orientation day go really smoothly. It’s always just like philanthropy events and stuff like that,” said David.

Slowey has been planning many events within Leadership that haven’t been fulfilled yet. Due to the short advising period, Slowey has done all she can during that time to plan events that will be taking place throughout the school year.

“Well, we’re off to a slow start, but our hope is that this group of students will be able to make some positive impacts either amongst their peers. But also for the teachers, we’re looking at helping students understand why it’s important to respect adults but also to respect one another. And so our whole goal is about culture change in the school and we are working on a plan to do that,” said Slowey.

Even though many plans for Leadership are still in the works, Students feel proud to be a part of this club. Taking time to reflect, students discover that Leadership truly impacts them individually and impacts the school.

“I’ve realized if I’m making a difference in the school, it’s nice to be with a group that is also coming to that same common understanding that we need to better and help our fellow students understand what goes on in the school and how we can change the school in a better way,” said Gerald Redbird.