Getting a job as a high school student

Putting yourself out there may be easier than you think

Anne Marie Mann

Freshman Azaria Boulding works at McDonalds on October 10.

To make money for college, gas and food, students can apply for a job with these tips.

“I like to have kids think about a job that relates to their potential career. Any job in high school is a good job, but certainly, if they want to go for finance, you know, a job in banking makes sense,” said Ryan Johnson.

One way to get a job is finding those connections to organizations that you or your family have participated in or just knowing a local business that you think is interesting, says senior David Becker.

Don’t be lazy. Just show up to your job and have good grades because if you don’t like to show that you’re good at school, or like, involving yourself in school, they’re not going to want you to be at their workplace because you’re probably going to do the same thing.

— Bri O'Brien

When applying for a job, it’s crucial that what you put in your application is true.

“Make sure you’re being honest about what you put in your application. If you need a resume or anything like that, if you aren’t honest, they will know,” said Johnson.

Picking out your first job can sometimes be a difficult decision. One thing to remember is to apply for a job that you know you will enjoy doing.

“You know, you don’t always have to go for that big Walmart $14 an hour job, too. If that’s not for you, then just find a job you’re comfortable doing,” said Becker.

After you find a job you like, it’s time to apply. Contact the business you’re interested in and ask about their application process. Some use paper. Others have online applications.

“I kind of just applied, had an interview and I got the job,” said Thiesens employee Bri O’Brien.

“One thing that’s really important when trying to stand out for an interview or to get hired for a job is you have to prove to the person that you have a good work ethic,” said Becker.

A good employer is almost more important than the job itself. So make sure the administrators of the business you’re applying for are trustworthy.

“If you have a person who seems like they can’t be organized, they have very strong opinions about everything, and they don’t listen to you, your job is going to suck. So just look for somebody that seems like they’re well organized and really flexible,” said Becker.

Once you get the job, putting in your full effort is very important. Employers look for an employee that is respectful and has a good attitude toward their job.

“A benefit is that it’s going to start to fill up your resume. You’re going to have to start to get those basic skills needed for a career,” said Johnson.

One skill to have when having a job is to be hardworking. Another skill is to learn how to balance home life and school.

“Don’t be lazy. Just show up to your job and have good grades because if you don’t like to show that you’re good at school, or like, involving yourself in school, they’re not going to want you to be at their workplace because you’re probably going to do the same thing,” said O’Brien.