High School Office Employee Moves on to Chase Dreams

In hopes of following her dreams, attendance secretary Daisy Gerdes went back to college to pursue elementary education.

“I’ve just always wanted to be a teacher, and now that my kids are a little bigger it was easier for me to go back to school,” Gerdes said.

After giving four years of her life to working in the high school office, Gerdes has decided to make changes to benefit her interest.

“I’m looking forward to the excitement of little kids and how excited they are to learn and just being a big impact on their lives,” Gerdes said.

Gerdes jumped back into online college through Viterbo for an additional two years to upgrade from an associate’s degree for administrative assistant, to a bachelor’s degree so she can begin her journey as an elementary school teacher.

“Currently, I’m looking at first grade as my favorite grade to teach,” Gerdes said.

Gerdes also went to school to minor in special education.

“I’m looking forward to meeting new people and getting to know little kids and helping to form who they are,” said Gerdes.

Although she is excited about what lies ahead, many students and staff are going to miss her at the high school.

“I’m going to miss Daisy because we have such a good atmosphere here in the office, and we’re able to understand what each other are trying to say and work together and not separately,” said high school secretary Michelle Wood.

Gerdes and Wood have been working together for nearly four years now. They both started working in the office the same year with Michelle coming a few months after Daisy and instantly building a bond with each other.

“I think she is going to do good with her new job because she is gonna connect with every student that she works with,” said Wood.

One student Gerdes connected with was senior Gabriel Iverson, who also holds faith in her new life path.

“She tends to be really open with students and chill about things, so I think she will be able to make a lot of younger students happy and make learning easy for them,” said Iverson.

Because she carries herself with patience and kindness it has built her good relationships with her peers, who all support her and wish her the best.

“I’m gonna miss her. Last year I was supposed to do some stuff with her and then never got around to it, and now she’s leaving in December, so that sucks. But, she’s gonna go on, and I think she’s definitely gonna do good,” said Iverson.

Not only do students have faith in her upcoming destination, but so do her coworkers.

“I really wish Daisy would stay, but I also really like that she’s going to do this and that hopefully, we can stay connected after this,” said Wood.

Although one chapter is ending for Gerdes, another amazing one is opening.

“I’m very excited. It’s bittersweet to leave one job and move to the next because I really do enjoy working here, but I know this is the right path for me, and I’m looking forward to my challenges ahead,” said Gerdes.