The good, the bad: 2020 hunting season

Hunting season throughout the years in Wisconsin hasn’t just been about a way to provide food for a family but has grown into an important family tradition that many people participate in. Fewer available resources, normal family tradition changes, more people spending time outdoors and COVID made this season unlike previous seasons. 

“There was a lot of exclusion like people were just too scared to meet up, you know, and risk thatthey’d rather go hunting on their own,” said junior Mia Handly, an active hunter. 

Due to COVID concerns many families choose to skip the family traditions.

This 2020 hunting season Wisconsin DNR Secretary Preston D. Cole said, “As hunters new and old make their way into the woods this season, it is important they follow all of the Wisconsin Department of Health Services COVID-19 safety precautions including wearing a mask, keeping six feet of distance from others and avoiding crowds.”

Another common problem this year was ability to find or purchase ammo.

“It was difficult to purchase ammo because almost all stores were sold out of hunting rounds,” said Blake Williams. 

According to NRA Family, the shortage of ammo was due to the overbuying of ammo, which was similar to the toilet paper shortage people faced back in March and April.  

There were also positives this hunting season. Being in nature can be very beneficial for your physical and emotional well being. According to the University of Minnesota’s Taking Charge of Your Health and Wellbeing website, nature helps a variety of things like reducing stress and blood pressure.

“I just really enjoyed the “little things” in hunting. Watching the sun come up and go down, listening to the birds, squirrels. I think in years past, I have overlooked these types of things and how enjoyable they make hunting,” business teacher Ryan Johnson said.