Avengers: Endgame Review (Spoilers)

Avengers: Endgame is finally here in all its glory. This is the movie Marvel fans have been waiting for, so get ready, because we’re in the endgame now. Spoilers ahead, so leave now if you don’t want to see them!

Right from the beginning, the dark tone of the movie is set. Clint Barton watches as his family is dusted from Thanos’ decimation. From there, it only gets more depressing. Tony Stark is trapped in space with Nebula, the remaining Avengers on Earth are scrambling as to where Thanos is, and the half of life that survived are saddened by the deaths of their loved ones. However, that is just the beginning. The next three hours takes you on a journey with the Avengers, making sure they live up to their name.

The plot of the movie is top notch, filled with twists and turns. Although they avenge Earth in the first 30 minutes of the movie, they try to undo the Snap from Avengers: Infinity War. They travel through time (thanks to the events in Ant-Man and The Wasp), tracking the Infinity Stones to old, iconic locations from past movies. From New York in The Avengers to Asgard in Thor: The Dark World, there is no shortage of locations. Despite Thanos dying in the first part, a past version of him finds out of their plan and seeks them out. Right as you think the heroes have completed their mission, past Thanos unleashes his fury, leading up to the biggest and greatest battle in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. From the Captain America finally wielding Thor’s hammer, to all the dusted heroes in Infinity War coming back with armies to destroy Thanos and his army, the movie is filled with action, adventure, and emotion throughout. Endgame successfully integrates itself in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, filled with references and callbacks to the past movies that make it a memorable experience.

Alan Silvestri provides with a memorable soundtrack again in this film. His work in The Avengers and Avengers: Infinity War was iconic, but the music in this is just as good, if not better. Captain America has a more patriotic sounding motif, while Thanos’ is much more slow and dark. Not only do the characters have their individual themes, but the locations dictate the music also. Asgard has a very Nordic feel with its music, while the planet of Vormir has a sad tone with it, much like in Infinity War. In the heroes triumphant moments, the Avengers theme plays to match the feelings of hope and victory. Silvestri’s music is accompanied by other familiar tunes such as Dear Mr. Fantasy by Traffic, Supersonic Rocket Ship by The Kinks, and a few more. Needless to say, the music in the movie is fantastic, with touches from every other MCU movie.

Since this film has dozens of characters to showcase (including all the dusted ones who came back), it’s very difficult to showcase them all cohesively. Older characters get their moments, such as Captain America and Thor using their thunderous powers together. Iron Man and Pepper Potts (with her new suit) team up, blasting Chitauri with lasers and beams. The dusted characters get their triumphant return in the final battle as well. Spiderman finally activates instant kill mode, destroying hordes of Outriders and Chitauri, while Captain Marvel goes head-on with Thanos using her binary powers. Nearly all the characters in the film got their moment of triumph, and it’s glorious to see them all work together as well.

Since this is essentially the end of some of the characters we’ve grown up with loved for the past decade, their ending in this movie really matters. The original six Avengers each get their own ending. Tony Stark sacrifices himself by obtaining the six Infinity Stones and snapping his fingers, killing Thanos, his forces, and himself in the process. Steve Rogers goes back in time to return the stones to the moment they were taken, and also lives his own life. He gets his dance with Peggy Carter (big throwback to Captain America: The First Avenger) and lives his life with her. Natasha Romanoff sacrifices herself for the Soul Stone in the past, making sure she could save the rest of the universe. Thor makes Valkyrie the queen of New Asgard and lives with the Guardians of the Galaxy who had been brought back. Clint Barton lives happily with his family on his farm, escaping the life of murder he had put himself in. And finally, Bruce Banner merges with the Hulk and lives his life with the brains of Banner and the strength of Hulk. With their absences, it sets up the new Avengers and the future of the MCU.
After seeing the movie twice, I can say that it is definitely the best movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was an amazing ride, filled with epic action and emotion. The original six Avengers get their send-off and make room for the new blood to fill in their positions. The plot is complex  but easy to understand. Although time travel is hard to pull off, they do it wonderfully in this movie, leaving room for other spin-off series to form because of it. If you haven’t seen Avengers: Endgame yet, then I strongly suggest you see it, and I rate it a 10/10. It’s the result of a decades-long journey, and part of the journey is the end.