Boys basketball team looks for improvement

Coaches prepared the team by giving them extra opportunities this past summer such as weight lifting and summer tournaments.

“We asked the team to do a lot of summer work, relying on kids to do things independently as well as providing opportunities in the weight room and in the gym several times a week, as well as doing summer tournaments over in Kaukauna and down in Stoughton,” said coach Jared Plaza.

Plaza believes it’s not about what the coaches have done differently but more about the group of kids they have. Many of the players are experienced returning players from last year.

“It’s a lot more encore leadership but also their familiarity in our system that allows us to do a lot of variations in our practices and our offensive and defensive schemes,” said Plaza.

Plaza has one goal short-term in mind specifically which is to beat Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau.

“I think on a larger scale we are a sectional squad for sure, if not better,” said Plaza.

Senior Jacob Woods says he has practiced a lot harder and put in more enthusiasm than he did last year.

Along with Plaza, the players have many goals of their own.

“My goal for us is to make it to state,” said senior Bryce Seiber.

Woods took advantage of many of the summer practice availabilities and is grateful they were offered.

“We had a lot of opportunities this summer to go to practice and make ourselves better in the offseason, and people who took advantage of those opportunities are playing well this year,” said Woods.

The Tiger team lost Thursday against Osseo-Fairchild and currently hold a record of 3-4 and continue to practice harder and improve.