Juniors react to the ACT

For the first time all juniors are required to take the ACT Exam.

“I feel like the ACT is going to be boring. Like it’s not really something I want to do, but I know I have to do it,” said junior Arianna Zank.

The ACT takes a little over four hours to take and is used to help colleges get a view of how well a student might do in college.

“I don’t understand how it helps,” said Loftsgordon. “I get why colleges want us to take it, but I don’t know how it benefits the students. For example, I’m not going to college for math, so I don’t get why I benefit in taking the math section of the ACT,” said Loftsgordon.

Others feel the fact that the ACT is now a mandated test is a good thing.

“I think it’s good that we take the ACT through school because it’s required for almost every school and everyone should get the chance to take it,” said junior Kristine Johnson.

The ACT without the writing portion costs $38 and the ACT plus the writing portion costs $54.50.

“I like the idea that it’s required to take in school because some students don’t have the money to pay for it. I think it’s a great opportunity,” said Amo.

Teachers also have their thoughts about the ACT.

“I would honestly encourage all students to take the ACT and become familiar with test taking strategies and tips. It’s helpful for not only for the ACT itself, but for other classes and anything that they might do outside of high school. Being able to handle pressure and have confidence in yourself and your abilities is a great skill for all students to have,” said College Prep Study Skills teacher Maureen Ruka.

“I think students taking the ACT through the school is great. If juniors are planning to go to college they have to take it, anyway. So I think it is wonderful that the school is going to pay for it,” said teacher Susan Polzin.

The state is mandating this March 3 test to hold schools accountable. Each school gets a report card to educate the community on how well they are educating students.