Olson Hangs up Tool Belt

When people think of Mr. Dan Olson, many think of him in the woods room or out on the construction site, but he is much more than that. He is a great man that has a lot of knowledge in many different areas in the tech ed department ranging from drafting to construction.

After graduating from high school Olson, went to college at the University of Wisconsin-Stout to pursue a degree in Industrial Education.

“I first knew I wanted to teach was when I was ten years old and my sister was four and I was teaching her in our basement before she went to kindergarten,” said Olson.

Olson has been no stranger to getting his hands dirty. He has always had a knack for building and fixing things.

“When was 11 or 12, I helped my dad put an addition on to our cousin’s house,” said Olson.

Olson has been to two other school besides Black River Falls High School. Though the other schools are where he first started off in his teaching career, Black River will always be his home.

“I have been teaching for 33.5 years now, I first started in Rice Lake, Wisconsin. Then I taught at Caledonia, Minnesota, and then here at Black River Falls for 30 years,” said Olson.

Though Olson’s teaching career at Black River Falls High School is coming to a close, he has made a lot of memories that he will never forget.

“Memories, man, there are a lot of memories I have had here. Well, just the different students that have come and gone, and also the people that I have worked with through the years and the really nice woods projects that were made and the construction classes,” said Olson.

Retirement is knocking on the front door for Olson. Many of the teachers that taught with him when he first started here have retired so he thought it was time for him to retire.

“I haven’t really thought about retirement, my teaching license was up at the end of the year and I didn’t want to renew it, and I also had the time in to retire from my job,” said Olson.

It is always nice to have a friend to ask any questions when you needed help. Olson had two close friends when he first started teaching at Black River Falls High School.

“I have learned a lot from Woody Meyer and Woody Amundson, there were always there if I had a question about something,” said Olson.

Teaching at the same school for 30 years is definitely a milestone, Olson will never forget the memories made at Black RIver Falls High School. Even though it is time to hang up the tool belt from his job, he will be never forget Black River Falls High School.