Seniors Prepare for College During the Summer

Kenzie Sumner scrolls for airline tickets on Kayak for her trip to Florida in the summer. Sumner is one of the many seniors who will spend her summer not only having fun, but also preparing for college
Kenzie Sumner scrolls for airline tickets on Kayak for her trip to Florida in the summer.  Sumner is one of the many seniors who will spend her summer not only having fun, but also preparing for college

Summer is the moment when a senior’s high school career ends and a new chapter of  life begins.  Some, like senior Kenzie Sumner, will prepare financially during this time.

“During the summer, I will have a job at Family Heritage. I will also be an umpire for Youth League Baseball or Softball to get extra money,” said Sumner.  “I will hopefully get several scholarships and financial aid.”

Sumner is not the only senior that will prepare for college in the summer. Senior Emily Stewart plans to not only work, but have fun during her summer.

“I will have a part-time job with the Wisconsin Quarter Horse Foundation Association, and I will spend a lot of time seeing family before I go to college as well as, seeing my friends as much as possible,” said Stewart.

Senior Kaitlyn Johnson is one of the many seniors who know what they will do during their college career.

“I am going to Gateway Technical College for Early Childhood Education, and then I will be going into Criminal Justice for Criminal Investigation,” said Johnson.

However, most seniors are not sure what they will do with their future.

“I’m still undecided. I will either be attending Globe University, where I would be accepted into the Massage Therapy program, or Chippewa Valley Technical College, where I’m accepted into the Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Counseling program,” said Sumner.

While seniors know what they will major in, the biggest thing that they must prepare for is how they will get use to being away from home and how to get along financially.

“I’m prepared academically, not financially. I’m not quite ready to leave home, but I will get used to it after awhile. Also, I’m really nervous for meeting new people, but I’m definitely excited to become independent,” said Sumner.

Stewart, who plans to go to the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse to double major in Biology and Chemistry, hopes that earning money during the summer with help her financially.  Similar to Sumner, Stewart is excited to go to college.

“I am so ready to go to college because it is so exciting, to me, to finally start focusing on the path that will lead me into my future and the rest of my life,” said Stewart.