Student Senate Engages in Volunteering

At Burnstads on December seventh, student senate president Joseph Barnett spends his Saturday bell ringing for The Salvation Army. Students involved in student senate decided that volunteering was something they were interested in doing this year. “It’s not really why would I want to volunteer, it’s why wouldn’t I want to,” said Barnett.

Student Senate’s mission is to make a difference around the school, however, changes in the organization have pushed them to expand and explore volunteering options in their community.

“Over the last two years we have been brought through this transition of change, but this year we are really trying to get organized and we’re starting to come out with new ideas for volunteering and ways that we could help the school in its own little time of change as well,” said senior Joseph Barnett.

Student Senate adviser Rebecca Simpson says new volunteering opportunities have come up this year and student senate members decided they were going to be involved. With Simpson as the new adviser for the organization, the students strive to reach new heights. Last year, volunteer hours were limited to a few days of bell ringing for the Salvation Army, but Simpson says the group is expanding its reach.

“We are doing bell ringing, we are looking into going to the elderly homes, possibly helping at the animal shelter, and we are going to be helping out with Project Christmas,” said  Simpson.

Project Christmas receives gifts for the children, and the family receives food, including a ham, or turkey to share a Christmas meal according to St. Tammany Project Christmas. “We just decided that it would be a good thing to do because Christmas is a hard time for some families, so why not donate our time to help other people?” said Communications Director Tianna Loftsgordon.

Student Senate is also teaming up with the National Honors Society in the volunteering program.

These volunteering opportunities have helped the senate to connect with community and its members as well.

“It also allows you to connect with more people so not only does it connect you with the community, but with other people as well. It is kind of like everyone is uniting for this one common goal, charity,” said Barnett.

The senate believes the Salvation Army is another worthy cause in our community, and are donating their time by bell ringing at Wal-Mart and Burnstad’s throughout the month of December.

“I am sure that the kids will have a lot more to do than sitting in the cold and bell ringing with people, but it will probably give them a sense of community  and will give them a sense of sacrifice and also just make them feel good for doing something for other people that are less fortunate,” said Simpson.

Barnett says that he volunteers because he feels that he is doing something great for the community.

“You get to see all of the cute kids coming by and dropping in quarters and then you say thank you and they say ‘you’re welcome’ it is just the most adorable thing and also a lot of those proceeds for The Salvation Army can go a long way,” said Barnett.

Some of the senate members receive positive feedback from the community, as well as feelings of fulfillment by helping others.The money donated to The Salvation Army goes towards meals, clothing, a warm bed, and many other necessities. Knowing that volunteering will assist in making lives better, student senate members have no problem taking the time to help out.

“I feel like it will make us maybe more thankful. We do bell ringing to raise money for charity, so maybe it will make us more grateful for the things we have,” said Loftsgordon.

Loftsgordon says that the community will not be the only ones benefiting from these actions, but the students volunteering will benefit as well.