Softball runs into bad weather

Fifty softball players are only two weeks into the season and have already  run  into some major problems. Problem number one: the team has already had to reschedule three of their games and scrimmages due to snow.

“I think the weather has affected us in many ways, for example, not being able to actually play on our fields and having to still work hard and prepare ourselves for the season but in gyms. The weather is also causing us to have to reschedule our games because we can’t really play with snow on the ground. This is hard for every player and coach, but everyone is adapting very well and is putting their best foot forward so we will have a great season,” said junior Katherine Hegna.

The team is trying to keep their spirits up, but there is only so much that they can do to prepare for softball games in a gym.

“It definitely is a challenge trying to keep indoor practices interesting,” said head coach Mary Danielson.

“The snow has given us more time to work on our skills, but it is hard to be inside when we can’t play and do game-like situations on dirt,” said junior MacKenzie Hoeschele.

Problem number two: two gyms are shared between three teams: softball, baseball and boys tennis. Every third day the team practices at 6:00 a.m.

“It is difficult with baseball and soon tennis trying to practice in the gym as well. It changes our times and locations, which has been frustrating, but we are dealing with it the best we can,” said Hegna.

Despite the early morning practices, the team is still enjoying the season.

“I am enjoying this season very much. Even after just two weeks I already feel like I’ve learned a lot, and I’m getting in shape,” said junior Emily Hammes.

Head coach Mary Danielson is very impressed with the girls positive attitudes and effort.

“I am enjoying the season so much. It’s always different year to year and this year has been great so far and it’s so much fun spending time with the girls. We are definitely working hard and focusing more this year on details and our workouts and what we do in practice has been much more intense, but in the end it will be worth it. There has always been pretty good team chemistry but I feel like it is really proving to be true this year,” said Hegna.