Fishing spreads throughout the high school

Fishing has become massively popular this year as students scramble to get out and catch the big one.

Many fishermen not only attribute the growing popularity of fishing to the early spring, but also the use of social media.

“I think the early spring has led to the popularity of fishing this year. There have been a lot of activities that people have been enjoying a lot earlier this year than they have in previous years. So I would attribute the popularity to the fact that more people are getting out and enjoying the outdoors, and what better way to do that than with a fishing pole in your hand,” said Brad Lobenstein, English teacher and outdoorsman.

While pictures are being uploaded to Facebook and Twitter, friendly competitions stir between peers.

“The big thing is Facebook because we all have a competition to see who can catch the biggest fish. The pictures just get us out there and get fishing,” said sophomore Dalton Shaw.

Fishing season doesn’t open till May 5, but fishing with a hook and worm is still permitted. Most suggest looking for holes and remain patient when fishing with a worm.

“Look for deeper holes on the river bottom and also stay patient. Don’t give up hope, they’ll bite,” said junior, Billy Dykstra.

To enjoy fishing there is no need to spend tons of money. Just a simple rod and reel and some good friends will do the trick.

“All you need is a basic fishing pole some line and a few hooks, and a bobber and some bait, that’s it,” said Lobenstein. “All you need is the desire to have a good time and people to hang out with.”