Band Closes the Marching Season with a Concert

Senior Cassie Olson practices on her saxaphone during class. Much preparation goes into a band concert.

Now that the football season is over, band students at Black River Falls high school don’t have to worry about playing in the frigid weather, but rather turned their attention to a fall concert that was held in the Lunda theater.

“I thought it went well. I tried to have fun with the concert with it being the last one. It’s a pretty laid back concert,” said percussion extraordinaire Erick Conrad.

The concert was full of unique sounds. Teacher Paula Hardie also had some pretty solid songs picked out. Band students not only played their instruments that night but also did something else that made the concert different from previous concerts.

“It was good and fun. We play better music [than middle school] and we got to dance,” said freshman clarinet player Katie Hegna.

Band students spiced up their concert a little bit; they got away from the typical concert and got to get up and show off their dance moves. Later that night the band students were given awards to recognize accomplishments they made during the year. The awards were given to players of all ages.

“I won an award for raising spirits in the football game and the band as a whole,” said Conrad.

“The Golden Tiger award, goes to a freshman who has learned the music well and was a good addition to the band,” said Hegna the Golden Tiger recipient.

Though only one freshman can get the Golden Tiger, all freshmen in the band get a rewarding feeling to interact with upper classmen.

“Its fun being with the people older than you,” said Hegna

“Been great, couldn’t ask for a better group. The freshmen have been fitting in great,” said Conrad.

Just like in any other sport, you like people watching you perform, and with band it is no different.

“We always appreciate people coming to the concerts. Just like any other sport, we work hard and we do what we love,” said Conrad.

View Comments (1)