FFA Beat Update: Parent’s Night

FFA’s annual Parent’s night, held October 12, highlighted member accomplishments and projects from the previous year. Parent’s night is best described by FFA adviser, Bradley Markhardt. 

“We have two main focuses. One, obviously is the parents, and two, to hand out FFA degrees. Discovery for Middle schoolers, Greenhand for starting high schoolers and Chapter for advanced high schoolers,” said Markhardt.

Greenhand and Chapter are the only degrees awarded at the local level to high schoolers. There is the State degree, given out by state and American degree, the last and final degree, given at the national level. these degrees are only attainable through lots of hard work and a rock solid SAE project.

Six green hands, including freshman Michael Dobson, junior Nathan Gilbertson, senior Will Peasley and  junior Samantha Swenson.

Two Chapter degrees were given out to sophomore, Nikkole Leisgang and sophomore Evan Markhardt. 

Food was provided by the FFA Alumni, parents and the FFA members themselves.

“[The FFA Alumni] made chocolate shakes, and lots of roast pork from Helstad’s Best Pork Products,” Mr. Markhardt said.

There was also an SAE (Supervised Agricultural Experience) project fair, where members show off what they have accomplished in their SAE. There are all kinds of groups they participated in; baking, photography, vegetables, haylage, silage, crops and largest and tallest competitions. Senior Dana McNulty won tallest corn stalk and Senior Zachary Markhardt won largest pumpkin at 170 pounds.

“His name is Thor [the pumpkin]” Zachary Markhardt said. 

The parents all received a FFA cup and lots of hugs and kisses–of the chocolate and genuine persuasion.