Fresh Hockey Squad

The  Tigers have already gotten their skates out and are ready to practice on the frigid ice in the new Lunda Arena.

“Practice has just been great so far. We really have some young talent coming to the team this year,” said junior enforcer Drew Millis.

The Tigers had a solid record last year, being over 500, and hope to embark on another winning season in the 2011 season.

“We are very young. We lost a lot of seniors, but there are a lot of new incoming freshmen.  Freshman bring some ripe, young talent to the team. We also have a few sophomores who will help the team greatly,” said sophomore Matthew Skogstad.

The team lost a plethora of seniors, and onlookers are hoping the young fellows will pull their own weight.   Last year’s goalie, Kyle Rickert, got injured recently, so the team will have two new goalies getting on the Tiger hockey bandwagon.

“I am not completely sure [about who will play goalie]. I know the foreign kid, [Jakub], will be here for the first half of the season. Then we will have to figure out the other goalie when we get to that half of the season,” said Millis.

Skogstad had a similar answer, “We will have Jakub the first half. After he leaves, there is a strong possibility of new comer Billy Dykstra will fill that position.”

Sid Mahn played as last year’s goalie for the first time in his life. He worked his way up to where he would split a few games over Kyle and got some quality ice time. Some Tigers feel Billy will hold his ground just like Sid did.

“I am very much so (looking forward to the season). I’ve never played before but I like blocking pucks,” said the newcomer to the ice, Billy Dykstra.

Dykstra will have to learn fast to be able to be the varsity goalie.   Players are looking forward to see what Dykstra can do out there.

“If Billy  goes through with it, he will be a grade A goalie,” said Skogstad.

Along with the new players coming in, the rink is fairly new also. Last year the rink was built along with the new fairgrounds.

“I think the new rink was a great investment of money, and will be a great place to skate for the years to come. The rink also draws more fans to the games,” said Skogstad.

The rink defiantly helps with fan support to encourage the Tigers. For example the old rink would be very cold to paint up because it was so cold, but in the new rink, fans can paint their bodies and still feel fairly comfortable.

For any team to be great, though, they have to have solid leaders, and goals to be successful.

“Our goals for the season will be to win half or more of our games. The leaders this year, I believe will be Nick Kunes from Melrose Mindoro, Trevor Tranberg, and Brandon Skelding,” said Millis.