Seniors Win Powder Puff Kickball

Seniors Emiley Rios, Olivia Lee and Tyler Roskos giggle at the pep talk of their coaches. The senior class has won Poweder Puff two years in a row.

Sunday, September 26, was the start of Homecoming week for Black River Falls High School. Some high school students showed their spirit by participating in the Powder Puff Kickball Game.

The kickball tournament was held at the Lunda Park fields and started at 3 o-clock. There were four teams: fre

shmen, sophomores, juniors, and the seniors. Each grade was represented by at least eight players. Since the guys could not play, they had the honor to be coaches for the girls.

The games began after a short coaches meeting. In the first games, the freshmen played the juniors and the seniors played the sophomores. In the junior-freshmen game, the freshmen came out on top, showing they were not scared of upperclassmen. In the senior-sophomore game, the seniors proved they were the ones to beat in the tournament, edging out the sophomores.

“We didn’t play good against the freshmen,” said junior Melissa Mach.

As for the seniors that picked up a win in round one.

“We had a lot more confidence than the sophmores,” said senior Emily Dunneisen.

The seniors also had some highlights to add to the win.

“I had a run and caught two fly balls in the outfield,” said Dunneisen.

The sophomores believed they lost to the seniors for some pretty basic reasons.

“We didn’t play very good against the seniors,” said sophomore Kayla Tennant.

The sophomores just could not come up with enough runs to keep up with the seniors.

With the first round of games complete, it was time to get the last games underway. In the third and fourth game, it was the sophomores vs. the juniors. In the championship game, the seniors took on the freshmen.

Junior Courtney Slosser gets sophomore Riley Smith out at first base during the final game.

In the sophomore-junior game, the juniors jumped out to an early lead, but the sophomores clawed their way back into the game. At the end of five innings, the game was tied. The coaches talked to their teams and decided to end in a tie for third place.

“We had to work harder and hustle more than we did,” said Mach.

Both teams were satisfied with a tie.

“We could have had a better offense to score more runs,” said sophomore Katie Pettibone.

In the championship game, there was a lot at stake. The freshmen were trying to beat the seniors. The seniors wanted nothing to do with the freshman. This game was worth the highest amount of points and bragging rights for homecoming week.

This game was ended in five innings, so no extra innings were needed for the championship game. The freshmen were trying to hang around with the seniors, but the seniors were showing why they are top dogs and destroyed the freshmen.

“We played a lot more aggressive than the freshmen,” said Dunneisen.

With the seniors winning the kickball tournament they earned themselves an early lead for points for the week. The final standings were seniors in first, freshmen in second, juniors and sophomores in third.