Buffet-a-palooza: Oriental Kitchen gets a thumbs up

Rikka Bakken and Levi Miles

While brainstorming in Writing about what stories we should cover in the upcoming week on the Paw Print Online, we had an awesome idea: what if we went to the Oriental Kitchen and tried EVERYTHING?

But who could attempt such a feat of bravery?  Well, we decided that the absolute deliciousness of Lo Mein and egg rolls was well worth risking possible indigestion. 

So, at about 6:30 p.m. one Thursday evening, we set out on our sojourn to Black River’s lone Chinese restaurant, the Oriental Kitchen located near the old Wal-Mart.   Before we went on our journey through the Oriental Kitchen’s glorious buffet, we choose to look for a guide. One stuck out clearly in our minds; the one and only freshman Sandy Lin. Daughter of the OK Buffet owners, Lin was the obvious choice for such a task.

We took a detour to the fabulous Lin residence, where we put our great powers of persuasion to work. Yes, we attempted the kidnapping of Sandy No-Middle-Name Lin.  It was almost a success, but at the last second Lin backed out so she wouldn’t be put to work by her parents.  

As we entered the buffet, a kind woman greeted us and sat us on the far left of the restaurant in comfy booth.  Then, the adventure truly began!  

FOOD:   APPETIZER BUFFET TABLE
Appetizers are a must when you eat a buffet, and to be perfectly honest, the OK Buffet has a plethora of delicious treats waiting to be scooped up and enjoyed.  Just a few of the delicious treats are mayo oysters, sugared rolls, crab wontons and spring rolls.  

Levi Miles (LM):  I really liked the crab wontons and the mayo oysters.  I don’t care what you think Rikka, they are delicious!  

Rikka Bakken (RB): Okay, well no duh about the wontons; they’re classic! AND I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU MADE ME EAT THE OYSTER!  That was just plain sick.  

LM: Liar.  

RB: Wow. Real mature.  

ENTRÉE BUFFET TABLE
The most important part of course, is the entrée.  The Oriental Kitchen has over 10 different entrees to choose from.  Examples are cheesy crab and seafood surprise, General Tsao’s chicken, vegetable lo mein, and Asian beef stir fry.  

RB: I can’t believe you don’t like General Tsao’s.  

LM:  It’s gross, okay?  It’s like slimy, crunchy chicken balls.  But I really like the lo mein, and of course the seafood surprise was great!  

RB: I think fried rice is way better.  

LM: Rice is always good.  I really liked everything except the chicken, I guess.  Seafood was my favorite by far, you just can’t pass it up!   RB: General Tsao’s is still amazing.  

DESSERT BUFFET TABLE
Finally, at the end of our grand adventure, we had one table left. The dessert table is a mixture of Chinese and American desserts, such as Jell-O cake, cream puffs, pudding and strange seafood… such as the shrimp with the legs, still attached.  

LM: I love cream puffs; they are obviously the best, even if they aren’t really Chinese.  And neither are Jell-O cakes I suppose… hmm…  

RB: Yeah, they’re not. But I liked how the Jell-O top actually came off the cake. I wonder if in China, shrimp with legs is really considered a dessert.  

LM: I don’t think so, they were kind of on the back half, towards the salads.  They were so strange!  But after the legs were off they were fine.  It’s just that they look so scary!     

WRAPPING IT UP
In review, the trip was awesome.  The buffet is clean, fun and offers a huge variety of Chinese and American cuisine.  Totally worth it!